About Fundamentals in Victim Services:
The January 2023 Fundamentals in Victim Services Training is a virtual training for victim advocates to develop core knowledge and skills to provide victim-centered services. By the end of this training, advocates will be able to
- Understand the role of ongoing and historical trauma in victimization and develop skills for providing trauma-responsive advocacy to all victims of crime.
- Expand their understanding of vicarious trauma and strategies to build resilience for a sustainable career in victim services.
- Understand and examine their own Occupational Identity (OI) and identify strategies for cultivating healthy boundaries; and
- Describe key victims’ rights and know how to find more information to ensure that criminal legal systems professionals are meeting statutory obligations regarding crime victims;
- Recognize and interrogate the roles of bias, privilege, and oppression in victimization and advocacy;
- Identify and honor the unique and complementary roles of community-based and systems-based advocates;
Furthermore, training participants will have opportunities to connect with one another and with experienced professionals with a range of knowledge and skills.
Expectations for the Virtual Format:
Fundamentals in Victim Services will feature interactive modules to appeal to different styles of learning, with a combination of lecture, small group work in breakout sessions, and opportunities for individual reflection.
Modules will take place live via Zoom. Attendees will be expected to actively participate, using the chat to engage with presenters and other participants, and turning on cameras and unmuting during large group discussions and breakout sessions.
MAC will award a certificate of completion to attendees who complete all the modules. Participants are expected to complete all sessions live. If you cannot attend a live session, you must email us at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance to request an excused absence. Sessions may not be recorded.
We will apply for Continuing Legal Education (for attorneys) and Peace Officers Standings and Training (for law enforcement) credits by request. If you would like CLE or POST credits, please indicate this on your registration, or contact us at email@example.com by January 6, 2023.
Registration is free for MAC Member programs and $50 for non-members. Not sure your program is a member? Check here: https://www.mnallianceoncrime.org/our-member-programs/
Registration will close Friday January 20, 2023 at 5 pm CT