About Fundamentals in Victim Services:
The June 2023 Fundamentals in Victim Services Training is an in-person 2.5 day training for victim advocates to develop core knowledge and skills to provide victim-centered services. By the end of this training, advocates will be able to:
- Understand the role of ongoing and historical trauma in victimization and develop skills for providing trauma-responsive advocacy to all victims of crime.
- Expand their understanding of vicarious trauma and strategies to build resilience for a sustainable career in victim services.
- Understand and examine their own Occupational Identity (OI) and identify strategies for cultivating healthy boundaries; and
- Describe key victims’ rights and know how to find more information to ensure that criminal legal systems professionals are meeting statutory obligations regarding crime victims;
- Recognize and interrogate the roles of bias, privilege, and oppression in victimization and advocacy;
- Identify and honor the unique and complementary roles of community-based and systems-based advocates;
Furthermore, training participants will have opportunities to connect with one another and with experienced professionals with a range of knowledge and skills.
Tuesday, June 6th: 9am-4:30pm
Wednesday, June 7th: 9am-4:30pm
Thursday, June 8th: 9am-12:30pm
Fundamentals in Victim Services will feature interactive modules to appeal to different styles of learning, with a combination of lecture, small group work, and opportunities for individual reflection. The number of attendees will be limited to 25 to maximize the quality of interaction.
MAC will award a certificate of completion to attendees who complete all sessions. Participants are expected to complete all sessions live. If you cannot attend a live session, you must email us at [email protected] in advance to request an excused absence. Sessions may not be recorded.
We will apply for Continuing Legal Education (for attorneys) and Peace Officers Standings and Training (for law enforcement) credits by request. If you would like CLE or POST credits, please indicate this on your registration, or contact us at [email protected] by May 19, 2023.
Registration is free for MAC Member programs and $50 for non-members. Not sure your program is a member? Check here: https://www.mnallianceoncrime.org/our-member-programs/
MAC will be celebrating it’s 30th anniversary in 2023 with a special $30 rate for new member programs! Join MAC before May 31st, 2023 and get membership through June 30th, 2023 for just $30. Click here to join today!
Hotel: MAC has reserved a discounted block of rooms at the Kelly Inn in St. Cloud for attendees who need to stay overnight during the training. The rate is $98 a night, to book at that rate please contact [email protected] for the online booking link.
Cancelation Policy: If you have registered and can no longer attend, please notify MAC as soon as you know that. Any cancelations received more than 72 hours prior to the start of the training will receive a full refund. Cancelations within 72 hours of the start will not receive a refund.
Registration will close Tuesday, May 30th, 2023 at 5 pm CT